#datcontour

November 26, 2014

To be perfectly honest with you all, I'm not the best contour person... I'm kinda crap to be honest. I watch billions of tutorials and they make it seem so easy. Just suck in your cheeks and place the shadow where the hollows are. Simple right?! Except, I swear to God, I cannot find these damn "hollows". My face is a round blob with no definition. In the last year I've been working hard on my contour game and I feel like I've started to finally become semi-okay at it!
The following products are my guiding lights, my guardian angels in the scary world of contouring. 




Benefit Hoola bronzer: This is the one I've been reaching for when I want a light contour. I say light, because Hoola tends to turn a bit orangey on my skin which doesn't serve to be the best contouring shade. This powder is buttery smooth and absolutely matte.

NYX Taupe blush: This one is amazing for contouring, especially for the price. This is a cool toned powder that creates an extremely natural "shadow" in areas of contouring. This is relatively smooth and completely matte. Can be blended out like a dream!

The Balm Bahama Mama bronzer: This is the darkest bronzer I own. It's intense. This was my HG for a while because the tiniest amount does the job so I find it easy to just slap. Be warned though you definitely need a light hand! This one is also buttery smooth and is also completely matte. This one is not as cool toned as Taupe but not as warm as Hoola. I really like this baby, but never seem to reach for it anymore...

Face of Australia Glamazon Contour and Highlight kit: This is the bomb. This is unfortunately limited edition, but it honestly contains a  fanttttastic contour shade. It is so buttery smooth and completely matte again. It is less warm than Bahama Mama but a smidge warmed than Taupe. Honestly though, it is so lovely. Go gentle with it because it is quite pigmented
Buy: Unfortunately, every single online stockist seems to be completely out. Keep an eye out at Priceline, Big W and Kmart - RRP. $9.95

NARS Laguna bronzer: Surprisingly this isn't completely matte as it seems to have some golden shimmers lightly running through the pan. When applied to the face you can see a slight golden sheen to it, however it doesn't appear unnatural or anything crazy. This shade looks quite dark in the pan, but does not translate as deep on the skin. This honestly isn't the smoothest or creamiest of my contour shades, but I still looove it. One of my favourite overall bronzers. This is in the same league as Hoola in terms of the warmth. Therefore, I don't generally use this as a contour shade, more as a defining bronzer!


So those are the products I tend to grab out of my collection to make my contour game strong! Now how do I apply?

NARS ITA brush: This is the gem of all gems. It's basically like a flat paintbrush that allows you to precisely carve out the hollows and also blends at the same time. I use this brush DAILY. I purchased this brush thinking I wouldn't be using it everyday, but wowsers... I seriously do.

Benefit box powder brush: This is very similar to the Nars ITA brush. This is what I used prior to me owning the ITA and it did me well. I have so many, because I own so many of their boxed powders! They aren't as dense but still do the same type of job as the ITA.
Plus if you buy Hoola, you get it with it! :)

Small Contour Dome Brush: The one I used is by Sedona Lace but I'm fairly sure it's similar to the one by Sigma. It's basically like a miniature powder brush. This brush allows for a super blended and natural contour. If you want it more intense, you can pinch the bristles and use it too "draw" a line if need be. 



How's your contour game going? What's your favourite products and tools to create the perfect cheekbone?

Jacquelyn xx

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Hehe yep my contouring game isn't quite at an expert level either... I've been using Hoola, which I do love, but can also sit a little orangey on me, it just doesn't look quite right as on contour shade on my skintone... I will definitely have to check out the NYX product, I've really been getting into NYX lately and always on the lookout for product suggestions! I wish I'd kept the brush that comes with Hoola, I've been eyeing off the ITA brush for ages, but you're right, the boxed powder brushes would do the same job!

    Angie || the maquillage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously get Taupe. It is amazing. Don't go overboard with it, but subtly it looks amazing!

      Yeah, Hoola is a bit too warm, but as a contouring bronzer it works well... (if you know what I mean) hahah
      x

      Delete
  2. Ahhh contouring SUCKS haha! It's not easy especially when you have a fatty face like me! So annoying! I have a few of these products and they definitely do help make it a bit easier :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! All these YT ladies do it so easily, but when I do it things never blend nicely or never sit well :(
      x

      Delete
  3. You made me laugh with "a round blob with no definition"! Contouring is hard though, I agree, all the YT stars look amazing and I look like I've got some dirt that I forgot to rub off *le sigh* But great products choices, I also love Hoola and Bahama Mama and I wish I had the Ita brush but I've got the Artiste dupe so winning!

    Dani | KaBOOM! Cosmetics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously though! All these YT people have perf cheekbones anyways haha. I suck in but my face is still round as hell haha
      x

      Delete
  4. I need to get my hands on the NYX Blush in Taupe, it sounds like it's perfect for contouring! ♡

    Eila | theblushingbrunettes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I need that NARS ITA brush, getting it asap. Great post, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously adore mine. I use it all the time. I never have any issues with blending either :)
      x

      Delete
  6. Great post! I love contouring. I'm currently in love with Tarte's Park Ave. Princess bronzer.

    http://ahintofbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOOH, I've yet to try that one but I've heard amazing things about it! Is it completely matte?
      x

      Delete
  7. I, too, also watched a billion of "how to contour" videos on Youtube and until now I still can't get that perfectly slim face look >.< gahhh I have stick with bronzing my face instead ~ I gotta try the NARS ITA Brush! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Face of Australia glamazon is life x

    ReplyDelete